C3-Corvette Restoration

Restoration of a 1977 Corvette Stingray

              Home                              History                              Specifications                              Links                              Suppliers                              Contact

Index

 

 December09

 

 

 

 

 

November09

 

 

 

 

 

October09

 

 

 

 

 

September09

 

 

 

 

 

August09

 

 

 

 

 

July09

 

 

 

 

 

June09

 

 

 

 

May09

 

 

 

 

 

 

April09

 

 

 

 

 

March09

 

 

 

 

 

Feb09

 

 Jan09

 

 Dec08

 

 Nov08

 

 Oct 08

 

 Sept 08

 

 Aug 08

 

 

 

 

 

 July 08

 

 

 

 

 

 June 08

 

 

 

 

 

 May 08

 

 

 

 

 

 April 08

 

 March 08

 

 Feb 08

 

 Jan 08

 

December 07

 

 November 07

 

December 2009

Part 1

 

 

 

Brake Calipers

 

The brakes were one of the first components i stripped down back in 2007/08, i fitted new lip seals and painted the calipers, after being in storage for 2 years when i fitted them there was a leak in the rear caliper, i put this down to them being stored 'dry' and the rubber drying out, it could also be down to a poor fitting or operator error (i.e. me making a hash of it) either way i decided to upgrade to 'O' ring seals.

 

I ordered the 'O' ring conversion kit from VBP, the kit includes everything you need to convert and install the calipers, i stripped out the old seals and run a tap through all the threaded holes before sandblasting the cast casings.

 

After blasting i washed the castings through with degreaser and an air line to remove all traces of grit and metal fragments, the stainless steel bores were polished up with some wire wool and cleaned out.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I used POR paint to cover the outward faces of the caliper, i left the inner faces til after the dust shield install to ensure no paint fouled the grooves.

 

Using DOT 4 fluid i installed the pistons and 'O' rings and pistons and dust caps, the kit comes with sprinds but after reading posts on the US forum, most people leave out the springs as they dont serve a real puropse ('O' rings are a tight fit and springs are weak).

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The bleed nipples and connecting bolts (supplied) were then fitted along with new brake shoes and SS pins.

 

The calipers were bolted back onto the car and the master cylinder was bench bled and fitted, i topped up the fluid and begn to bleed the brakes starting at the furthest from the MS.

 

The AIM manual states that the brake pedal should have no more that 1.8" max travel when bled with the engine OFF (i.e. no vac).

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Since its Chistmas and -4degs in my garage im having a break to get drunk, Merry Christmas :)

 

 

 

 

 

   <== Previous Page            Next Page ==>

 

Free Hit Counters

c3-corvette.co.uk 2003 Privacy Policy Terms Of Use