C3-Corvette Restoration

Restoration of a 1977 Corvette Stingray

              Home                              History                              Specifications                              Links                              Suppliers                              Contact

Index

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

January11

 

 

 

 

 

December10

 

 

 

 

 

 November10

 

 

 

 

 

October10

 

 

 

 

 

September10

 

 

 

 

 

August10

 

 July10

 

 

 

 

 

June10

 

 

 

 

 

May10

 

 

 

 

 

April10

 

 

 

 

 

March10

 

 

 

 

 

February10

 

 

 

 

 

January10

 December09

 

 

 

 

 

November09

 

 

 

 

 

October09

 

 

 

 

 

September09

 

 

 

 

 

August09

 

 

 

 

 

July09

 

 

 

 

 

June09

 

 

 

 

May09

 

 

 

 

 

 

April09

 

 

 

 

 

March09

 

 

 

 

 

Feb09

 

 Jan09

 

 Dec08

 

 Nov08

 

 Oct 08

 

 Sept 08

 

 Aug 08

 

 

 

 

 

 July 08

 

 

 

 

 

 June 08

 

 

 

 

 

 May 08

 

 

 

 

 

 April 08

 

 March 08

 

 Feb 08

 

 Jan 08

 

December 07

 

 November 07

 

January 2011

Part 1

 

 

 

Re-fitting Inlet Manifold

 

 

With the temp getting above freezing i decided to re-bed my intake manifold today, i had a very small leak at the back near the dizzy on the china wall, this may have partly been due to the higher crank case compression of the 383 or bad install by me, i installed a crank breather from the blanking plate on the mech fuel pump hole a few weeks ago to relieve some pressure.

After stripping off the manifold i had a careful look over the intake gasket which seemed to be fine, i wanted to check for potential vac leaks in that area.

The RTV i used to seal the front and rear china walls all came off with the manifold, looking at the block there was no real sign of any leaks altho the RTV looked like it hadnt sealed the full width of the rear.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



I was suprised not to find a leak there and was beginning to wonder if i had stripped of the manifold prematurely, altho a leak was present when the engine was under load.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Using a razor blade almost horizontal to the manifold i carefully pealed back the RTV then i found a small section about 15mm in length that came away with no effort, found it! releived that i wasnt going mad and there was a leak i cleaned up the block and manifold and fitted new gaskets and laid a thicker bead of RTV this time.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The remains of the sealant took over an hour to remove using a razor blade and thinners to remove the last traces.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Before i started i placed rags in the block to prevent any debris from getting into the lower block and valves.

 

 

The china walls were cleaned down, i used 240grit wet and dry to key the block then cleaned down with thinners to remove any trace of contaminates.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Manifold bolted back on at 25ft/lbs in stages as per the install guide.

 

 

Why the top end is off i will check the carb and replace the valve cover gaskets with the steel reinforced rubber ones.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

   <== Previous Page            Next Page ==>

 

Free Hit Counters

c3-corvette.co.uk 2003 Privacy Policy Terms Of Use