C3-Corvette Restoration

Restoration of a 1977 Corvette Stingray

              Home                              History                              Specifications                              Links                              Suppliers                              Contact

Index

 

 

 

 

 

 

May10

 

 

 

 

 

April10

 

 

 

 

 

March10

 

 

 

 

 

February10

 

 

 

 

 

January10

 December09

 

 

 

 

 

November09

 

 

 

 

 

October09

 

 

 

 

 

September09

 

 

 

 

 

August09

 

 

 

 

 

July09

 

 

 

 

 

June09

 

 

 

 

May09

 

 

 

 

 

 

April09

 

 

 

 

 

March09

 

 

 

 

 

Feb09

 

 Jan09

 

 Dec08

 

 Nov08

 

 Oct 08

 

 Sept 08

 

 Aug 08

 

 

 

 

 

 July 08

 

 

 

 

 

 June 08

 

 

 

 

 

 May 08

 

 

 

 

 

 April 08

 

 March 08

 

 Feb 08

 

 Jan 08

 

December 07

 

 November 07

 

May 2010

Part 1

 

 

 

More Polishing

 

 

More polishing done on the T tops, weather strips fitted and being bedded in.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Using the same process as the body and hood, the T tops were polished up ready for the weather strips and hardware.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The T tops came up really well, i decided not to fit the liner for now, it helps with a little extra headroom, i need to decide what i'm going to do with that...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The outer trim peices had to be cleaned up using light scotch pad, then a buff over with the metal polisher.

 

Trial fit these to see where the screw fixings are in relation to the trim, you dont want the trim out of line on the front or rear of the T top.

 

The small clips may have to be bent slightly to get them to sit and clip over the two peices, also check the screw location for the clip.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The caged nuts that hold the trim in place can get seized or crumble, mine had and did!

 

To get round this you would have to split the fibreglass to gain access to the inner cage, or at least cut a hole in the fibreglass to access them, i didnt want to do either, so i used plaster board fixings, these screwed into the holes and made a secure fixing for me to screw into.

 

The weather strip was fitted using a contact adhesive (Evostik) and taped into position to cure completely, the last job was to glue and screw the side edge, my weather strip is teh later 77 with the metal strip in the rubber, earlier would have the mounting metal work seperate to the rubber.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I then shimmed the clasps with washers to gain 5mm - 6mm extra height so i could feed the weather strip under the T top centre trim peice, this helped to gain access and start the bedding in process, Willcox corvette have some good 'How to' papers on their website.

 

After a week i removed some washers, adjusted the body mounted screw to lock the tops down tighter, every couple of days i nipped them up to get the weather strip bedded and the top fitting snug.

 

 

 

 

 

Door Weather Strip

 

 

 

 

 

 

First i ran the weather strip around teh door and taped it at intervals to check the fit, the length and how it fits to the door panel.

 

The rear screw hole had been bodged by the previous owner so i drilled a new hole.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The rear 'tail' was screwed into place, the next job, screw the metal insert to the door, once this was done i could start fitting the rubber with contact adhesive (i came back to these last and glued them).

 

This whole process can frighten people, i was the same until i sat and worked through the process and read a few 'How to' papers, it really isnt as hard as it seems.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

   <== Previous Page            Next Page ==>

 

Free Hit Counters

c3-corvette.co.uk 2003 Privacy Policy Terms Of Use